A Welcome Notification is a specific notification that can be displayed on a user's device, when it interacts with the first beacon detected by the SDK after a given period of time. For example, when passengers arrive at an airport, the airport app can choose to display a notification the first time that their phone interacts with any one of the beacons in the network, to push a welcome message and general information about the premises.
Our SDK allows to configure one Welcome Notification per application.
You can activate and configure this Welcome Notification directly in AdTag, in the dedicated Application Management section**
Welcome Notification Data Structure & Settings
Welcome Notifications follow a similar data structure to “regular” beacon notifications:
- a notification title
- a description (optional)
- an image associated with the notification (optional)
- a textToSpeech text: if the textToSpeech is activated at SDK Level (optional)
- a deep link: a URI used to open a page of your application (optional)
AdTag also allows you to manage four additional settings:
- A Min Notification Interval (described below)
- A Maximum Number of Notifications (described below)
- a Minimum display time (described below)
- a Replace Default Notification setting (described below)
About the Min Notification Interval
A Welcome Notification is displayed on a user's smartphone when it interacts with the first beacon detected by the SDK after a given period of time. This timeframe can be configured directly in AdTag, through the Notification Interval, which is equivalent to the minimum time lapse between two Welcome Notifications. By default, its value is set to 12 hours: in other words, if a Welcome Notification has already been displayed on a user’s smartphone upon entering a beacon area, the SDK will have to wait 12 hours before a new one can be triggered.
About the Maximum Number of Notifications
This is the maximum number of Welcome Notifications that a user can receive in the app (default = 1).
About the Minimum Display Time
Welcome Notifications are linked with the first beacon detected by a smartphone after the timeframe defined in AdTag (see above). When users exit the action range of this first beacon, two scenarios can take place:
- Either no additional nearby beacon is detected by their phone, which causes the Welcome Notification to be automatically cancelled by the SDK.
While users remains within reach of the first beacon, the notification will not disappear unless they manually delete it.
- Or, their phone detects other beacon(s) in its surroundings – in this case, the Welcome Notification is assured to remain displayed for a minimum amount of time: this is the Minimum Display Time.
Every time a user moves out of a beacon’s region, the SDK checks if the Minimum Display Time is reached, and if so, it cancels the corresponding Welcome Notification. If not, and if the user is still in the action range of a beacon in the network, then the Welcome Notification remains displayed until there is a new range exit (or until the user manually deletes it).
About the Replace Default Notification setting
This setting allows you to choose whether or not to display the default beacon notification in addition to the Welcome Notification.
In other words:
- If you switch ON, then users receive two notifications when they interact with the first beacon of the selected timeframe: the default Beacon Notification and the Welcome Notification.
- If the switch is OFF, then users only receive the Welcome Notification